This was Auckland’s major public cemetery from 1840 to 1886, closed now for over 100 years this once peaceful resting place is now overwhelmed by the roar of the motorway and busy Symonds Street. Unfortunately this area has a history of vandalism and assaults. The cemetery was developed as five separate cemeteries – Jewish section, Catholic section, Presbyterian section, Anglican section and a combined Wesleyan and general section. Part of the cemetery is under neither the grafton bridge, which is a concret bridge built over 100 years ago.
These pictures were taken with a Fujifilm s7000 in the January of 2006